Thursday 13 November 2014

Raw Banana Custard Pie

I made this pie last night in desperation for something sweet and healthy. Also to use up bananas that were going brown!

It was so good. I never get over the seemingly endless magical combinations of ingredients such as dates, nuts and seeds. And this coming from a cupcake fanatic with more than just one sweet tooth! 

The combination of banana and tahini in the filling reminds me of custard for some reason, especially when the pie is eaten before it has frozen too hard. Very silky and smooth. 

This pie comes together really quickly, if you don't count the freezing time. I don't mind fiddly raw sweet recipes if I have the time, but it is nice to make a straightforward one every now and then. 

If I was serving it to people, I would probably double the filling ingredients and decorate the pie with fresh bananas and shredded coconut.



Raw Banana Custard Pie (inspired by Chocolate Banana Cream Pie from Rawsome Vegan Baking)

Base
1 1/2 cups whole nuts (I used combo of cashews, walnuts and almonds)
1 cup soft medjool dates, packed
pinch of salt

Filling
2 large bananas
1/4 cup tahini (I used unhulled)
1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/8 cup non-dairy milk
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla

To make the base, blend the nuts until they are a coarse powder. Combine with the dates and salt in a food processor until the dough starts sticking together. Press into a cake tin (I used a small round one). 

To make the filling, blend all filling ingredients together until smooth. Pour on top of the base and put in the freezer until firm (about 2 hours). 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! This looks like just the thing for a sweet craving. I also love how simple it is to pull together - who has time for fiddlyness when you want dessert in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! Yes, when you have a sweet craving you need something fast, otherwise you tend to eat anything in sight, or I do anyway :)

      Delete
  2. sounds great - I am impressed how my sylvia knows that the more manky the banana the sweeter for pancakes - wonder if she would eat this. I am sure I would

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I hope your Sylvia likes this- my Sylvia won't try most raw sweets...

      Delete
  3. Looks really delicious. Love simple dessert like this :-)
    Bananas and tahini sounds great together - I'll have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds and looks delicious, I expect the tahini and bananas combo is fantastic! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! It's a great combo- I remember mashing bananas and tahini together for my kids when they were babies :)

      Delete