Saturday 10 November 2012

Best salad ever: Kale salad with sunflower seed dressing

The cliche is that vegans live on salads. Although I like most salads, I don't make them very often. When I do, I usually use brown rice or quinoa to make a more substantial and interesting salad.

However, in the last few months of this pregnancy I have craved the freshness of salads. I created this one completely guided by my cravings. I have made it a few times a week for the last month or two and I am still not sick of it! 

The salad contains kale. I have made kale chips, which I enjoy, but I much prefer the taste of raw kale. I have come across a few types of kale - curly, flat and purple. They all work in this salad. The sunflower dressing is very creamy, almost like mayonnaise, and the apples and sultanas add a bit of sweetness. It is not fancy or pretty, but it is delicious!



Kale salad with sunflower seed dressing (serves 2, or 1 pregnant woman)

2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cups of kale leaves, ripped up
1/4 cup sultanas

Dressing (based on sunflower thyme marinade from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
dash of water to thin it out (but it should be fairly thick, not runny)

Put the celery, carrot, apple, kale and sultanas in a bowl.

Blend all dressing ingredients together until smooth and desired consistency.

Add the dressing to the bowl and coat all ingredients well. I usually do this with my hands, it works best!


No comments:

Post a Comment